Indifferently, I walk into my eye appointment - at this point I have already mentally prepared myself for the worst. The assistant shows me back and has me take an eye test. It seems every time I do this those little tiny letters get harder and harder to see. I just end up guessing based on the shape. I think that's how you know you really are getting older. He laughs at my inability to guess the right letter. Next, he puts numbing drops in my eyes and pokes at them with a stick. Asks A LOT of questions, writes everything down, smiles and leaves. In walks the doctor...
Dr: Hi Amber. How are you? Your chart says you have a bump on your eye?
Amber: Hello, I am fine. Yes, I have this bump on the white of my eye. Sometimes it's big and itchy and hits my eyelid when I blink and sometimes I hardly notice it. I am super nervous about it and need to make sure it's nothing serious. By the way, your assistant made my eyes numb and they feel really weird.
Dr: Ha, yes it is a weird feeling. The numbness will wear off soon. Ok, I see what you're talking about. Let's take a closer look.
(He then proceeds to poke, flash lights and look very closely into my eye with his very large microscope. Then rolls back in his chair and looks straight at me.)
Dr: You have pteryguim.
Amber: Oh
Dr: Pteryguim is sun damage on your eye caused by over exposure to sun, wind, dust and dry climates. We see this a lot in people from dry areas.
Amber: Like Utah?
Dr: Yep, Utah is a great example.
(Amber and the Dr talk about how she is from Utah and her bump inflammed on her last trip back for Christmas. And that she actually has already been diagnosed with this, but freaked out and needed to be sure. The Dr informs Amber that people from these types of climates need to use extra precautions with there eyes.)
Amber: So what do I do?
Dr: There isn't much you can do. It's kind of like a freckle on your skin, it's there but it shouldn't change.
Amber: So will this grow over my entire eye?
Dr: No.... I am confident that won't happen.
Amber: But if it does grow over my entire eye, then what will you do?
Dr: I don't think it will, but if it did I would remove it.
Amber: Oh, so surgery can remove it if that happens. Ok. Well sun damage on your skin can turn into skin cancer. Can sun damage on your eye turn into eye cancer?
Dr: I am 95% positive this will not turn into cancer on your eye.
Amber: But if it were to, is there anything you can do?
Dr: Yes, there is treatment for that, but I have been doing this for 15 years and have never seen pteryguim turn into cancer.
Amber: OK
Dr: Keep your eyes covered in the sun. When it's windy make sure you protect them from dust and when they get dry use eye drops and you shouldn't have any problems.
Amber: That's it?
Dr: Do you want steroids?
Amber: Not really - I prefer to grow my muscles naturally.
Dr: I mean for your eye. You can fill the prescription it if it inflames again and it will bring down the swelling.
Amber: Oh. Right. Sure.
Dr: Ok, I don't think you need a follow up unless you have any problems.
Amber: Alright I will be sure to come back if it grows over my eye.
Dr: Ok! See you then.
Amber: Uhhh... what?
Dr: Just kidding.
Amber: That's not funny and my eyes are still numb. Weird.
So I am as good as new... or as good as new plus a freckle. Now, I definitely need some new sunglasses!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Still Seeing Strong
Brought to you by Amber
Labels: Eye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
ok, sunglasses count as a needed medical item, therefore should be excluded from your 3 item limit. Second, freckles are awesome! and you have one where I don't! cool! Glad to hear it isn't scary cancer.
Mamb, I'm so relieved to read this! Love the conversation with the doctor - especially the end when he said, "Okay! See you then." It made me laugh even though your eyes are a completely serious matter! So glad that the RX calls for eyedrops and sunglasses and not much else. :o) Love you!!
P.S. I was just looking at your previous post about your cute holiday decorations...Livvy's right next to me and she said, "Pretty house!" Could not agree more! :o)
You are so funny. But I know that you have more sunglasses than a street vendor in Mexico so I will judge you if you buy new ones! :) Love ya!
Post a Comment