Grandparents. They love you from the day you arrive. They shower you with more kisses and hugs than one person ever knew they needed. They look past your faults as if they don't exist. They just love. They love with the purest most wholesome love of anyone you can imagine. They relish in your goodness and encourage you to be the best you can be. They don't disipline, they don't need to. They don't want that job, they have a better one. Their job is to love you. To cheer you on and be your champion. They watch you grow. They help you succeed and when you fall they make sure you pick up your pieces. They tell you stories. The stories your parents won't tell. The good ones, the funny ones, the sad ones. The stories that made them who they are - the stories that make you who you are. They become your friends, they are your grandparents. And oh, are they grand.
I have been blessed with the most awesome grandparents a girl could ever ask for. I have had two grandmas and one grandpa for as long as I can remember. I have felt this real true grandparent love. I can't imagine my life without it.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Sweetheart, I love you
Last week, our dear sweet Grandma Peni passed away at 88. This lady was amazing. Her life was full of color, of sparkle, of bright makeup and fun hats. There were times when no one else understood an outfit and she would compliment it. She got it. She wasn't afraid to live outside the box. She wasn't afraid ask your astrological sign and then proceed to a your assess your personality based on its characteristics. She wasn't afraid to give advice. She wasn't afraid to share her opinion and she wasn't afraid to love. She listened to stories, she loved them. She used to say, "Sweetheart, I was born 30 years too soon cause I would love to do the things you guys do now." She lived a full life and she told good stories, the incriminating ones that made my dad smile a sly smile and swear it never happened. She told stories of life and love, of adventure and heartbreak. She was an example of hard work. She reminded me why strong women are so important in this world. Her presence demanded authority, and oh boy did she get it, everyone loved her.
(Grandma's 85th surprise birthday party. She talked about this party for years. She was SO excited about the birthday hat with candles. She loved that all her family was there to celebrate with her.)
At her service on Monday, I was reminded what an impact she made on the lives around her. She will certainly be missed, not only for her awesome Halloween costumes, but for the amazing person she is. Can't wait to see her again!
(Girls Family Breakfast. This was the morning after Halloween. Grandma loved Halloween because she loved to dress up, this morning was no exception!)
Grandma Peni never let you leave without telling you she loved you. Never. So, in the words of Grandma Peni, "Sweetheart, I love you"!
Brought to you by Amber
Labels: Family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Amber, so sorry about the passing of your Grandma Peni. What a wonderful woman and what a wonderful legacy she leaves in her family. I'm thinking about you and I love you!
Amber, I love the way you put things into words. Such a beautiful tribute.
Post a Comment