I remember when we were little. I used to dress you like you were my very own doll. I used to brush through your hair and you would cry. You would cry because you said it hurt, SO BAD. I never believed you though. I would just keep brushing telling you to be strong. For some reason you let me. You're hair was so long and thick. We could literally spend hours curling it only for the curls to fall right out. We didn't care though, I would just do it all over again until you were sick of sitting there.
I remember when you would sleep over. You would get up earlier than any kid - ever known to man! I would wake up and find you watching cartoons or sitting at the counter eating cereal. You'd make fun of me for sleeping so long and I would get mad. I wasn't a morning person - even if it was almost afternoon.
I remember not being old enough to drive and sitting in the cars pretending to go awesome places. If it was really hot we would even get the keys! We would dream of growing up and driving. I swore when I turned sixteen I would drive you, Nate and all your friends around. I would be the cool Aunt, I promised.
I remember vacations, camping trips and weekends with the family. I remember hiking to the top of steep mountains that our Dad's were determined to take their four-wheelers up. We were too scared to ride with them, so we would walk up - together. I remember board games (oh my heck you LOVED board games), campfires, and coming back from 5 hour long four-wheeler rides exhausted and covered from head to toe in mud. Luckily, I always packed plenty of extra clothes!
I remember when you started liking boys. You would call me and talk for hours. I swear you were the world's fastest talker and I am pretty sure you could talk without taking a breath. You would tell me everything and ask for advice to get that boy to notice you.
I remember when you would cry, I would hug you and promise you everything would always be all right. And when I would cry, you did the same.
I remember when you grew taller than me - which - seemed to happen overnight. So tall and pretty. You loved that I was older and you were taller. We would joke that I would always be the shortest one in the family. That is turning out to be very true.
I remember dressing you up and taking you out with my friends. We tried to convince people we were the same age and would laugh and laugh when they would believe us.
I remember your Senior prom. I was so excited you asked for my help - I brought over all my makeup and hair supplies. We spent hours brushing on the perfect eye shadow and curling and twisting your thick hair into the perfect updo. You looked gorgeous.
I remember your high school graduation. I was so proud, and a bit jealous, of your 4.0 high school GPA. I was convinced that even with my 3 year head start you would graduate college first. I knew you would go on to do great things. Great things that only really smart 4.0 people do.
I remember the first thing you did when you walked in a room. Hug. Everyone. Even if they weren't the hugging type.
I remember the last time we talked. I remember our whole conversation. I remember exactly where I was standing. I didn't know then that would it be our last.
I remember these things not only today, because it is your birthday, but every day.
I remember you every day.
Happy Birthday Ash!
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Celebrating Ash
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
She remembers too, Mamb. You were so lucky to have each other. It hurts when we're the ones left behind. I love you. So much. :o)
Amber, I hope you are okay... I feel like I know Ash just through your amazing writing. You can feel your love for her. It's tough... hang in there. She knows you love her too -remember that! Have a great day.
Post a Comment