Monday, August 24, 2009

That Running High

There are these days. Days when the it takes every ounce of willpower I can muster to get my running shoes on and out the door. Days when my mind and body can't seem to work together to find a rhythm and the thought of walking sounds like heaven. I skip through songs on my regular running playlists and only finding one or two on the entire ipod that give me any motivation. Usually on this day I feel a new pain in a knee or a foot that I hadn't noticed before or even a new blister forming. I notice every car, every person and every house but none can keep my attention long enough for me to forget that running hurts. I know I have things to think about, but my mind feels empty, my thoughts unfocused. I just want to be home. I look ahead at the hill in front of me and wonder if it got steeper, getting to the top seems impossible. My chest hurts, this has to be what a heart attack feels like, at least a similar pain. My feet pound the pavement so hard I feel every muscle fiber and fat cell in my body move. On this day I'm tired, my form is bad and my toe is breaking through yet another pair of expensive running socks. But I finish, I make it home, thank my body for pushing and hang up the running shoes knowing that eventually this day will be worth it.

Because soon enough, I will get today. Today my shoes go on and I can't get out the door fast enough. My steps feel light and my stride actually makes me think I am taller. My ipod is playing music and any song will do. Today I don't rely on the music for motivation, I don't need it. My mind and my muscles are working together. They're connecting and pushing each other, it feels powerful and effortless. I have already run 8 miles and barely noticed, it felt easy, good, inspired. Today I have power over my mind, I think through my day or listen to the lyrics of a song. I wonder what it means, I find answers. Today I look at the hill ahead and move faster, somehow the challenge is refreshing. I breathe in rhythm, my chest is relaxed. I'm on top of the world, anything is possible. This is the feeling, the runners high, they talk about. This is the reason they, I, you, push through the miles on days where putting one foot in front of the other seems impossible. Because for this moment, both the work and the pain are completely worth it.

3 comments:

Gladys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gladys said...

Remember the movie, What Women want. Reading this makes me think about the Nike commercial in the movie. It is like the perfect monologue.

Erica said...

I am SO not a runner and this post is actually making me think about maybe giving it a go. ;o) P.S. You are an excellent writer! I love to read your posts!