Here I am in a new city, in a new apartment and aside from my desk, bed and 2 closets full of clothes, my 1000 sq.ft apartment is empty and I am at a loss as to where to start. I have been out of my parents house since I was 18 years old, I have lived in 5 different apartments and somehow each one was decorated. So I think my amazement at discovering that I have no style is justified. I am 25 years old for heaven sakes I should know how to decorate! The discovery of having no style came simply - when I got here I knew I had a lot of space to fill, so what did I do? I went shopping! I walked and walked and walked and bought nothing, that is unusual all in itself. But when I would walk I would think, "that is cool" or "that is cute, but will it go?" GO WITH WHAT?!? Nothing, sure that will go with nothing just fine! How do I not have style? I pick out clothes just fine (I think?) and I have been known to watch hours upon hours of HGTV, so I definitely have an opinion, but actual style, I don't think so. Now here is what I did, I decided to start with furniture. Easy enough - FYI furniture is expensive. So I decided I would buy something slightly used from craigslist, after all that is how I found this apartment. Bad idea - used furniture is different than renting an apartment. Needless to say, Thursday I thought I found the perfect used couches and Friday I brought them home and decided I couldn't sit on them because it stressed me out to think what they may have been through, today I sold them. Back to square one, but smarter nonetheless. New plan, I will buy new furniture, I sat down and mapped out each of my rooms, made a list of the things I need. I think once I have anchor pieces - couch, bookcases, blah blah, accessories shouldn't be hard. I understand color, I understand prints and patterns, mixing and matching. I want to say my style is traditional/eclectic, but I seem to be drawn to contemporary furniture, but not so contemporary accessories hopefully I can meet somewhere in the middle and add a little shabby chic glam to it. There must be something about this being just mine that I want to make it perfect. Cross your fingers I get close, and when I do this will probably be the first place I post pictures. So stay tuned.
The Plan
Sunday, July 27, 2008
What is my style?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I think you have great taste and whatever you end up doing will be so YOU! I can't wait to see your apartment all put together! :o)
You do have wonderful taste (um, excluding your purple and back leopard bed spread! Just kidding!) You will find something great... when I saw your room, it was put together so cute at your old place. You always come up with great things and I know you will find reasonable furniture! I couldn't have done the craigs list either, I've thought about it... and decided to save!!!! haha. Is there an IKEA around? that could help! You'll do great! Good luck, I know your stress, I've been thinking about my house for 2 years! Can't wait to see what you come up with love!!!
Amber, I am sure that you can make your apartment look adorable! I've never seen your house, but you have cute clothes, shoes, hair, so I'm sure you can do a decent job on an apartment, LOL! PS-this is Lindsey in case you didn't know. I am going to add your blog link to mine. I'm glad you are enjoying Oregon!
Post a Comment