Here are the things that I have learned, life changes fast, timing is everything and sometimes the very best moments are the ones you didn't plan.
June 15th, I sat on a plane heading for Utah. Home, to run a relay race. The Wasatch Back, a Ragnar Relay that I say is my favorite race, yet every year I still have to talk myself into 30 hours of exhaustion. I sat on a plane reading a book and letting my mind wander. I thought about the race happening in 3 days and wondered why I hadn't flown out earlier, my lungs were going to burn in the altitude. I thought about my aching back, sitting is the worst, I prayed it would just make it through this weekend. I thought about Ben. I knew we were getting married, he had talked with my dad, I wondered how it would all eventually come together.
June 18th -19th, the race was a blast. The weather was perfect, my back and hip were sustaining the pain and 21 miles seemed to fly by. As I ran my last leg of 5 miles, more like shuffled at 4am, I was excited my portion was almost over and it was party time here on out. The end of the race is always the most interesting. People are sore, they are tired and crabby - they just really need sleep. Chris always teases that no matter what he says on the last leg I will disagree with him, because I just want my way. It's true, and this year was no exception.
When my van of 6 had finished their last legs and passed the trusty slap bracelet on to the remaining 6 on our team, we went to shower. We had about 5 hours until our 2nd van would finish and it would be time to cross the finish line together. We hobbled to the high school, grateful that PE is a thing of the past, we walked into the girl's locker room. We showered, commented on our blood shot sleepless eyes and put on our matching shirts to go meet our team in Park City.
The finish line this year was at The Canyons Ski Resort. My mom was coming to the finish; I was excited to see her there. We rode a gondola to the top. Well, some of my team walked to the top - which was so athletic of them - but I literally didn't think I would make it on foot. The finish line was a serious party. There were runners and families and families of runners everywhere! When I finally met up with my mom much to my surprise my dad was there as well! I introduced them to my team and they gave us their congratulations. As we tried to find an open spot to visit my dad decided to go look around at the merchandise for sale. About 5 minutes later, as we were all telling my mom stories of our last 24 hours, my dad came back. He walked toward me and said, "I found this guy walking around". Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. There was Ben! I couldn't believe it! My words were filled with AHHHH and WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE??, big smiles and lots of hugs. We hadn't planned on him coming to the race so he told me he was there to support me and the team. Surprise! I was so excited to see him, I bought it. He and I walked around and sat in the sun as I rambled all about how terrible, oh I mean terribly fun :-), the race had been.
The time finally came for our last runner to come in. We went to the bottom of the last hill to run the last 10 meters with her so we could all cross the team together. We ran, hobbled and made our way to the finish line, flip flops and all. Our team name was announced as we crossed the line and I looked up to see Ben standing there. The flow of runners is set just right to herd everyone off to the side to get their medal and out of the runner's pit. I walked over to him and said, "What are you doing? I think this is only for the runners." He asked me to come over to him. "But I have to get my medal?", I said. He replied, "Just come here, Amber." He grabbed my hand the MC announcing teams handed him the microphone. As his free hand slid into his pocket and he got down on one knee my hand immediately went to my forehead and with a huge smile on my face I thought, "it's happening". It went just as a perfect proposal would go. He told me he loved me, he asked me to marry him. I told him yes, of course. My friends were crying, my parents were snapping pictures like crazy and the crowd was cheering. I didn't hear or see any of it. I just saw Ben, I could only think about one thing, for a few seconds we were the only ones there.
When we were done hugging and celebrating together, we celebrated with our friends and family, my team and strangers - of course took more pictures.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
We all have stories... this is mine
Amber...
I love you...
Will you...
Marry me?
Yes! Of course!
This is funny cause my feet NO WHERE near touch the ground.
Team celebration photo!
As I think about it now, I maybe should have known. My mom was acting a little funny that whole Saturday morning and her place to meet me kept changing. When I asked Ben why my mom had a photographers camera around her neck that seemed to resemble his and he answered, "I don't know." I maybe should have thought twice, but I am glad I didn't. I didn't know what was happening until the moment it did and that was perfect! Soon to be Mrs...
June 26th, I flew back to Oregon and I reached for my book. As I opened the pages I thought of the flight to Utah, the last time I touched this book and how much things had changed. It was now one week after the proposal and 10 days after the original flight home. My mind was now flooded with reception and flower ideas - timing, details and food. The past few days had been filled with big smiles and long conversations. I had told my story over and over and over again. I loved every second of it. I hadn't planned it like this, I didn't know I would be on this plane home wondering how to host the perfect wedding. But, I couldn't have planned it better, these moments- my story - have been absolutely perfect.
Brought to you by Amber
Labels: Running, Soon to be Mrs, Utah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






9 comments:
AMBER, such an awesome story...
And you totally have a reason to go shopping now :)
Yay! I've been waiting for this story. Love it! So happy for you!
YYYYYYYAAAYYYY!!!! Congrats! That is sooo perfect! We need a pic of the ring of course!!!
I am so excited for you on so many levels. 1- you are getting married! 2- I get to plan your bridal shower which I already have a million ideas for. 3- You are getting married to an Oregonian (meaning you are staying here in Oregon!)
P.S. I LOVE the picture of him holding you up. It's so funny and cute at the same time.
I LOVE IT. What a handsome guy. What a beautiful girl. A lifetime of happiness ahead. A perfect story, indeed. Love you, Mamb :o)
Wow! You sure have a way with words. Yes I am a softy your brought tears to these eyes. We love you Amber and are so excited to have you as part of our family.
That is so sweet! Hey I think you need to share some details of this guy. I went back through your blog to see if you mentioned how you met and when you started dating, but didn't see anything so I would love some of your dating history. If you're taking requests for blog posts also a picture of the ring is a must!
congrats!!!! :) great story!!!
Such a fun story! Congrats on finding your love. What a great time in life. Enjoy every minute of being engaged.
Post a Comment