Monday, March 2, 2009

Ode To My Shoes

Lately I find myself completely obsessing over shoes. I find myself doing all things shoe related... thinking, day dreaming, coming up with new shoe designs and then spending hours online or in stores looking for that perfect pair that I have imagined in my head. Those who know me know that maybe this is not that far out of the ordinary. The obsessions usually go from shoes to skirts/dresses to jackets and back to shoes. Typically, I have no shame in my obsessions (or love) of beautiful fabrics, textures and patterns but I really have more than enough to choose from. I realize a lot of the problem may be that I don't even know what I have! Now in a perfect world my closet would look like this: I would love to have a big enough space where I could see everything I had. It would really be a good investment because I would probably buy less. If I could see that beautiful pair of patent leather heels in the corner I wouldn't go out and buy a new pair. So instead of obsessing with buying new I am turning to a new obsession - organization.

To be perfectly honest, I always thought my closets were pretty organized, aside from the small pile of clothes off to the side from the 12 outfits I tried on earlier that morning that didn't work out and I didn't have time to put away before I ran out the door. But my closets have always been at least organized by color. The problem is the shoes. When I lived in Salt Lake I had a wonderfully huge closet. All my shoes were set out so I could see them. Now - I have 2 little closets which really works out fine, but I no longer have the space to nicely organize my shoes. So while I work towards the beautiful closet above, I need something to work for now. Here are my options, pros and cons listed below...Pros: I really love the pattern on this one. It is hung over the door and I feel like if you had to look at it every now and then it wouldn't be a huge eye sore.
Cons: It only holds 20 pairs of shoes. I would probably need more than 2 and I really only have 2 doors to hang a shoe rack on.

Pros: Same pattern as above. I could possibly use this in conjunction with the above rack.
Cons: I have no idea how this thing works or where you are supposed to put it!

Pros: This says it holds 50 pairs of shoes. I could maybe even fit more since a lot of my shoes are heels.
Cons: It is a stand alone and you would always be able to see it. Huge eye sore.

Pros: This one also hangs on the back of the door so it wouldn't always be visible. It holds 36 pairs of shoes, I could get 2 and then have room at the bottom of my closet for taller boots.
Cons: The reviews said it's hard to put together and let's be honest the pattern from the first option is really awesome.

I really need help making this decision.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the first two. I have something similar to the second one for clothes in my closet. The one I have the top velcros around the closet bar. And I love the pattern.
Looks like you guys are having a ton of fun!! Hope everything is going well :)

Erica said...

That pattern is fabulous on your top two options - love it! I'm partial to anything that utilizes the empty space on the back of closet doors. When storage space is at a premium, every inch counts! And although the stand-alone rack holds the most shoes, it would take up floor space. Yeah, I vote for the door organizers for sure. Have fun with your obsessions...they're all good ones! :o)

Shannon said...

I have a similar problem only instead of having 2 small closets I have only 1 since the other one is for Dan. I bought a small shoe rack to put in my closet and it works pretty good when I have it all organzied. But I had to force myself to throw out some old shoes that I really didn't wear anymore so everything could fit. Like your obsession with shoes I have been dreaming up a perfect shoe closet. It would be like a stand alone closet only it would be flatter and be all shoe racks. It would be sleek and stylish in a dark brown/black color with simple silver or broze knobs. You would open it and all the shelves would be slightly slanted so you could see all your shoes. I tried to find this perfect shoe solution but so far it doesn't exist. Let me know what you decide.

Amber said...

Thanks guys, I am thinking I will do an over the door rack of some sort. Shannon I think we should find someone to build you your dream closet... it couldn't be THAT hard! :)

The Callahan's said...

I'm sure California closets has something like that Shannon! Amber I deffinetly would not get #3. We had one like that and it was horrible! It wasn't sturdy and it fell apart a lot!

Gladys said...

If I had a closet like that, my life would be complete! Well, if I had a closet like that, and clothes like that, it would be complete...